Bluff Oysters with Apple and Horseradish Dressing
I didn't finish school. Instead, I studied culinary arts and trained under celebrity chef Paul Jobin. Throughout my career Paul has helped into roles at legendary kitchens including Marsden Estate, Cape Kidnappers and Makepeace Island.
- 24 Bluff oysters, shucked and lightly washed
- 100ml tart apple syrup (I use Stams, available from specialty food stores) or 300ml apple juice reduced by two-thirds
- 50ml cider vinegar (or Japanese rice vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon horseradish sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster juice, strained through a fine sieve
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 firm apple, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced chives
Place the apple syrup and cider vinegar in a stainless steel bowl. With a whisk, mix in the horseradish sauce, oyster and lime juices, then the oils and finally 75ml water. Add salt if needed. Fold in the apple, sesame seeds and chives. Spoon over oysters.
3sixty2 Sauvignon Blanc